Despite undergoing a 3 hour operation earlier in the week, I was anxious to get the Schwarzbier brewed, so I set to the task on Saturday. I took things quietly, didn't drink, and it resulted in one of the most trouble-free brews I've done for a long time.
The malts were as follows;
4% Carafa II
4 % Crystal
4 % Chocolate
Mashed for 60 mins and boiled for 75, for an original gravity of 1052,
with hop additions;
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 75 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 20 mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 5 mins
to 28 IBU's
I hit the target gravity and volume exactly, and the wort was a stunning black, with ruby hints.
The yeast (WLP830) was pitched at 19C (66F for our US friends), just to get things moving along, and to make sure fermentation kicks off.
I've just checked it 24hrs in, and it's started nicely, and smells great, so I've now set my ATC-800 to control my fridge at 10C (50F), where it will now sit for 17 days to ferment out completely. Once done, I'll rack it off and lager it around 2C (36F) for another month.
I'll update, once bottled and ready for tasting.