Brewday was last Friday, March 11th, the same day work started on the Hoover Dam in Black Canyon, Colorado, back in 1931. In 2011 Black Canyon I.P.A. is born.
For those unfamiliar with the brewing process, I've labelled up the three vessels on my kit below;
Some of this liquor is passed into the Mash Tun where it's mixed with malted barley and kept at a constant temperature, to relase the sugars from the malt.
As temperature is critical, before mashing in I heated some water in the copper and pumped this into the mash tun to warm the vessel beforehand.
The malts used in this IPA were;
0.70% Flaked Maize
0.30% Chocolate Malt
Once the wort is in the copper, it's brought to the boil and hops are added. In this 10 gallon brew I added a massive 750g of hops. The majority of these were put in late - the schedule was as follows;
50g Challenger @ 75mins
100g Challenger @ 10mins
100g EKG @ 10mins
150g Challenger@ 5mins
150g EKG @ 5mins
100g Challenger @ 1 min
100g EKG @ 1min
Not for the first time, gravity came in higher than expected at 1064, so I must look at increasing my efficiency in the Beersmith software, as the new kit and home-ground malt appears to have made a big difference. It should still be balanced enough, with masses of flavour and aroma coming from those hops.
I boiled for 75mins then pumped the wort through the cooler into two 5 gallon fermenters. The wort was a stunnning gold colour and it promsies to be a cracking looking beer.
I had two liquid yeasts that were both out of date and badly stored. Nevertheless, I made up starters last Monday to see if they were viable. One was Fullers and the other was a Californian Ale yeast, but neither sprung to life, so I ended up pitching a dry yeast (US-05) in both.
I'll leave it for 10 days on the yeast before racking and conditioning, and I'll update on it's progress as time goes by. Can't wait to sample this one.