Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Sunday 17 April 2011

More Citra anyone?






Please, Sir, can I have some more?





I’ve taken a few steps back along the brewing road, but now it seems I’m going forward again. Finally. That Citra brew I did at the beginning of the month looks like it’s going to be a decent beer. And I want more.

I bottled 38 pints yesterday and it tasted grand. Perfect for this time of the year, when the sun is shining. It’s light, with delicious fruit flavours and rolls in at just 3.9%.

It’s taken a few brews to get to know the new gear but I think I’m just about on top of things now. With that last brew I hit the target gravity and volume, and from the initial tastings, the hop balance is bang on too. It’s not like an American in-yer-face pale ale, it’s a bit more reserved. More British.

Despite brewing 10 gallons, half of that will be going into a keg for a party at the end of the month. I don’t expect to be bringing any back home. The other half of the batch has been bottled and from that I want to put some aside for my trip to France in the summer. So yes, if you’re reading this Keith, you’ll get to try some too. I think it’s going to be a belter!

Anyhow, with so much put aside, I can see there’s not going to be a great deal left for me to drink over the coming weeks. So, only one thing to do. Brew it again!

As for the name, I’m not so sure I should call it a Citra Pale Ale. Most of the hops (by weight) are other varieties and most of the IBU’s also come from hops other than Citra, although they do pack a punch even in the small quantity I’ve used. And, perhaps, if I call it something other than Citra, my friend Jon may judge it without prejudice when he gets to try some :)

I've plenty of work on this week, including on Good Friday, so Saturday will be the first opportunity I'll get to brew it again. 

2 comments:

  1. not sure about the dodgy music but nice redesign of the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks arn and apologies for the Quo. I couldn't think of anything more relevant :)

    ReplyDelete