Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Saturday 27 July 2013

Defenders Of The Realm


One of the most exciting harvests of the year on my plot are the hops.

For those that don't know, I'm an avid home brewer and there's little as satisfying as brewing your own beer, using hops you've grown yourself.

When I first bought my hop rhizomes, the blurb that came with them mentions about keeping a keen eye out for greenfly. The little blighters can apparently turn the plant black and prevent the flowers (hop cones) from forming.

In all the years I've been growing, I've not had a problem. I'm guessing that these fellows might have something to do with it.















If you're not familiar with these larvae, the next stage of their life-cycle will give you a clue .





















Ladybirds - defenders of the hop.





Here's looking forward to a good harvest!










No comments:

Post a Comment