Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Spot The Difference

If you've been paying attention, you may remember last year's potato crop was pants. Very few of the tubers materialised and many of those that did, succumbed to 'Blackleg.'

Well I'm pleased to say the visual impression of the haulms is very different this year;

Spot The Difference!

Despite earthing up, some of the early growth did get hit by some late frosts and there's still the threat of blight later in the year, so I'm not getting too excited about the potential harvest. But, so far so good.

I also took an opportunity to harvest my garlic this week. Despite a wet spring, waterlogging and standing water at times, most had done quite well.

Garlic 

Details of what I planted can be found in an earlier post here. What surprised me, was that the new variety did better than the 'Aussie' garlic that I'd done the year before. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that garlic adapts to your soil, so by saving the best cloves for planting the following year, you should get plants that thrive on your patch. On this basis, I though the Aussie garlic would fare best, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Final judgment will, of course, be made on taste and on how well they store. For now, I've hung them inside my warm shed to dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment