Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Ear Ear

Whats all this then?

Off topic, it has nothing to do with my allotment or brewing the finest ale in Wiltshire. It has everything to do with sticking candles in my ears. Honestly.

In an attempt to speed up my recovery from this horrible bout of Labyrinthitis, I'm going to have some 'Thermal Auricular Therapy', otherwise known as Hopi Ear Candling. I've never heard of it before, but as many of you out there care about what you grow and put in your bodies, I thought you might be interested in this holistic approach.

From what I've researched, it's a treatment that has been used for centuries to relieve ear problems. Originally used by civilisations such as the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, and Asians. It is named after the Native American tribe who first introduced this therapy to the West - Hopi.

A candle is apparently rested on the opening of the ear, while the heat and oils work to re-balance pressure and stimulate the blood and lymph. The candles are hollow tubes made using a combination of herbal extracts which are blended in honey and beeswax. The herbal vapour stimulates blood and lymph circulation, which can boost the immune system and help regulate pressure within the sinuses, while the warm air circulates in the outer ear to gently massage on the eardrum. The therapist I'm using contributes a proportion of monies received back to the Hopi tribe. This is by way of payment for the use of their 'recipe' for the candles.

The treatment helps with a number of issues, including sinus pressure, Tinitus and headaches, all of which are caommon to Labyrinthitus.

I'm going with an open mind and I'll be interested to see what (if any) relief I get. I'll report back.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be interested to know what you think of it, and if it works.

    ReplyDelete