Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Friday 23 July 2010

And the winner is...

A while back (February to be precise) I was sowing my tomatoes. One Russian variety and one bred in Latah County, Idaho USA. Both are outdoor varieties, bred for short growing seasons and I was interested to see which of the two performed best.

It's too early to call an overall winner, but we've been having lovely juicy red tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. It's the earliest I've ever had outdoor tomatoes ripe - and they've all come from the one variety. The Latah.

The Russian Urbikany has set plenty of fruit, but they have yet to ripen to any degree, whereas the Latah are falling over with fruit, lovely and red.

We've also got an absolute glut of courgettes (zucchini) and green beans.

Much to the horror of our four-year-old, it's beans with everything at the moment. I'll probably have to whip up a chocolate courgette cake to erode the mountain of courgettes. Our three chickens (Lilly, Dandelion and Burdock) are all partial to courgette too, so they've been taking care of the oversized fruits.

Unfortunately I've forgotten the camera on the last few visits to the plot, so there's no pretty pictures to accompany this post.

There will be more on the new brewery soon, as the electrician is coming over next week to get the power sorted. Can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to hear the result because this year I am mostly growing Latah! How did they taste? I have plenty of fruits but none are ripening yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, they tast like tomatoes should. Not like the tasteless supermarket toms. They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our two will eat the beans but won't touch courgettes which is frustrating as we have so many.

    ReplyDelete