Home brewing antics can now be found at my other blog; http://gettinggrist.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Mash Tun Woes Continue

Brewing has been delayed another day. Not just because of the weather either. I have to wait for the guy who manufactured the kit to come around and sort another issue.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had an immediate problem with the flat botttomed mash tun as the outlet was now at a different height to the original (conical) tun. As a result, the outlet doesn't line up with the remainder of the pipework on the brewery.

I did manage to raise the pipework and secure it to the mash tun, but today was the first opportunity I had to test it with water, as the water supply finally thawed. Because the pipe is now angled, it's not a great fit and it leaks.

So, nothing I can do until Mark arrives with some new pipework, tomorrow morning. To brew would mean a late start and it's likely the boil would be starting just as the temperature starts to dip again, so I've decided not to bother.

Friday also promises to be much milder down here. We might even get 5deg, which would be a massive bonus, so Friday it is.

I'll use tomorrow to get the brewery back into a servicable state. Water ready and the unit all plugged in with timers on, so the water can start heating on Friday morning whilst I'm having breakfast. I'll then, hopefully, be able to mash in around 9.00hrs GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment